Xinca version 4.24 and up allows you to utilize Apple’s iBeacon technology to monitor when devices enter or exit an iBeacon region. This allows you to install profiles, documents, and apps when the device is in the specified region and remove them when the device exits the region.
For more information about iBeacons, see Apple’s “Getting Started with iBeacons” guide.
To monitor iBeacon Regions, you need:
- iOS 7 or higher;
- a Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) capable iOS device;
Bluetooth Low Energy is available on iPhone 4S or higher, iPad 3rd generation or higher and iPad Mini 1st generation or higher.
- Bluetooth turned on;
Tip: create a new Profile and untick the “Allow Changes to Bluetooth settings” box at the Restrictions section to make sure users can’t turn off Bluetooth on their device.
- Xinca Client version 3.3 installed and Managed by xinca;
- Location Services enabled;
- One or more iBeacon devices.
Creating an iBeacon Region
- In Xinca Management System navigate to Organisation -> Settings -> iBeacons;
- Click on the “Add iBeacon” button;
- Enter the name and an optional description for the iBeacon you want to add;
- Define the iBeacon Region by specifying the UUID and optionally the major and minor values;
If the UUID is only specified, the major and minor values will be wildcarded and the region will match any beacons with the same UUID. Similarly, if only the UUID and major value are specified, the minor value will be wildcarded and the region will match against any beacons with the same UUID and major value.
- Click on the blue “Save” button.
Using iBeacons in Smart Groups
The iBeacon Regions you’ve defined can be used in Smart Groups. Once a device enters or exits a region, the Smart Group will automatically update and add or remove the device as a member accordingly.
To create a Smart Group based on iBeacons:
- In Xinca Management System navigate to Devices -> Groups;
- Click on “Add Group”;
- Enter the name and an optional description for the new group and make sure you tick the “Smart Group” box;
- Click on the blue “Add” button;
- Click on the “Members” tab;
- Click on the green “Add Filter” button;
- Select “Nearby iBeacon(s)” as the rule and select which iBeacon should trigger an enter or exit region event;
You can specify more than one iBeacon.If you do so the device is in scope (member of the Smart Group) if the device is near one of the specified iBeacons.
- Please make sure that the Xinca client app is not blacklisted. The Xinca Client app is being used to monitor the iBeacons on your iPads.
- The Xinca Client app needs to be opened at least once to monitor the iBeacons. We advice to send a ‘Attention Message’ using the Xinca Admin app to force the users iPads to open the Xinca Client app.
- If the Xinca Client app is switching fast from one iBeacon UUID to another one you can experience some delay on receiving the correct profiles for the latest connected iBeacon. In practice it turns out that this will most likely not happen in a school environment, but might occur in a testing environment.